This year we had a fantastic bunch of summer students in the lab. Super big thanks to Michelle, Chloe, Esther and Jerry for keeping us energized and entertained this summer. As a special thanks, we have featured them in individual posts below!
Esther Wang was a go-getter and contacted us about a summer position in early 2017. We were impressed by her previous lab experience and were excited to have her join us. Esther has worked closely with Payton Marshall and Gernot Kaber. Payton forced her into becoming a morning person and she has spent countless hours in the TC room.
Current School/Year: Sophomore at the University of Chicago
Career Goals: MD or MD-PhD
One or MORE fun things you’ll remember about the lab:
” 1) When someone asks you to aliquot the BME, say no. (Also, don’t use a stripette, sterilize it AFTER you dilute it to minimize the smell, and, no matter what, do NOT do it in the tissue culture room.)
2) If anything goes wrong, ask Gernot. He’ll know what to do 99.9% of the time. (Just give up in the case of the other 0.1%).
3) No one ages (appearance-wise) past 20 in this lab, apparently.”
Photo: Esther in her native habitat.
Current school/year: Senior at Henry M. Gunn High School
Career Goals/ Ideas: “research scientist, reptile breeder and musician on the side.”
One OR MORE fun things about working in the Bollyky lab :
“Working on analyzing Payton’s images of dendritic cells and t-cells when exposed to heparinase and hyaluronan taught me techniques to learn and apply concepts on my own to perform a task. I will remember the moment when I finally figured out the analyzing the images of the different wells – it is very satisfying to have made a streamlined process from knowledge I gathered working with Graham.
I will remember when we went jumping because I had a great time. I really enjoyed talking with other lab members because they all had many interesting things to share. I will also remember going to Ike’s because their sandwiches are really good. I loved worked working on experiments with Heather, Gernot, and Hedwich and I got a lot more proficient with equipment and essential procedures. ” – Jerry
Photos: Taken at our Sky High Sports Trampoline jumping summer excursion.
Chloe Fishman is a Palo Alto local who is no stranger to the Bollyky lab. She came and worked in the lab this year with Dr. Kuipers and in summer 2016 with Dr. Yadava!
Current School/Year: Sophomore at Georgetown University
Career Goal: “I am interested in a career with a dual focus in both the clinical application of medicine as well as the formulation of systemic solutions to the societal factors that shape current healthcare problems.”
One fun thing about working in the Bollyky lab : “My favorite things to learn about this summer were flow cytometry, Western blots, and collecting organ/tissue samples.”
Photo: Chloe watching the Solar Eclipse.
Michelle Bach has earned the nickname Minion in the lab this summer. She is a Stanford undergrad already a regular in the lab, but this summer she was a HUGE help for the Phage Team.
Current School/ Year: Junior at Stanford University
Career Goals: To become an Infectious Disease doctor
One fun thing about working in the Bollyky lab this summer: “Watching the solar eclipse with the entire lab outside of LKSC and using Carlos’s high tech Captain Crunch Cereal Box Eclipse Glasses! ”
Photos: Michelle with her Minion, and watching the eclipse.
Congratulations to Carlos Medina for receiving two fellowships highlighting his efforts to diversify academia.
He was awarded the Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine as well as the Diversifying Academia Recruiting Excellence (DARE) Fellowship by the Stanford Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education. The support provided by these fellowships will allow him to continue to advocate for diversity and inclusion in academia during his graduate studies and beyond.
Dr. Paul Bollyky was chosen as a 2017 Harrington awardee.
Check out the other Harrington awardees here.